What is call masking?
Call masking, also known as number masking is a voice over internet protocol (VoIP) feature that hides the identity during phone calls.
When you use this solution, a temporary phone number is created for either one or both parties. It allows you to use your private phone number or a virtual phone number without the fear of a breached identity privacy. Using the masked phone number you can hide your actual phone number and in the same breath, provide a secure call experience to both your agents and the customers.
Enhanced user privacy is at the forefront of the mind when discussing call masking. You can use this feature in a call center to keep caller identity anonymous and ensure customer privacy.
Let’s have a look at some of the benefits call masking can bring to your business.
- Increased call responsiveness – Many people have a distrust of suspicious caller IDs. With the call masking feature, customers receive incoming calls with local numbers which they are more familiar with. This puts them at ease and increases the chance of them picking up and hearing what your representatives have to say.
- Enhanced customer privacy – Both clients and businesses are justifiably aware of data leaks. Call masking helps keep your private communication secure and protected. This can not only put your and the client’s minds at ease but also ensures adherence to identity privacy policies your company has in place.
- Increased customer engagement – Many customers don’t feel comfortable sharing their personal contact details. By using the masked number feature you can gain customers’ trust so they not only give you their personal phone number but are also likely to further interact with your brand.
- Lower communication costs – It’s way cheaper to use call masking than purchasing local phone numbers or setting up whole new contact centers.
- Better call management – While keeping most of your business numbers private, you can give out your unmasked phone number to certain people. This can help you better manage your calls and make sure that you can be reached only by the individuals you’ve selected.
- Centralized business communication – Call masking ensures that all the secure communication between the business and its customers is handled on one platform.
- Data analysis – Call masking feature offers real-time insights into many aspects of a call center like agent performance, quality of interactions, and customer insights. You can then study this data and optimize your processes to provide the best customer experience.
Would you like to make better calls?
Start your 14-day trial for free and set up your own virtual call center with LiveAgent
Frequently asked questions
What are the benefits of phone number masking?
Anonymous communication via call masking offers a wide range of benefits including personal phone number protection during business calls and in messaging services, increased customer responsiveness and engagement, better focus on customer privacy, cost-saving, better call management and overall better protection of individual users.
How to set up call masking?
It depends on the call center software and the phone service provider you are working with. Different business phone providers have different setup procedures. However, in most cases, you should be able to set up and configure it in the standard settings panel. How much you can configure this VoIP feature depends on the call center solution and the VoIP provider you are using.
Who uses call masking?
Call masking is used in many global businesses that have a presence in multiple countries. Other industries that find phone masking valuable are those that work with large volumes of customer data like finance, healthcare professionals, travel, and delivery services, but also contact centers, online marketplaces, and eCommerce platforms.