Customer Service Quotes, Sayings and Slogans
It has been estimated that poor customer service is costing businesses more than $75 billion a year. In order to stay successful and profitable in today’s highly competitive and oversaturated marketplace, businesses need to take customer service seriously and make it a top priority to deliver outstanding customer experiences. Below is the ultimate collection of customer service quotes and sayings from famous business leaders, industry experts and authors providing some valuable insights that can be used as the source of inspiration for businesses helping them reshape their approach to serving customers.
80 Inspirational Customer Service Quotes from the Experts
Explaining What Customer Service Means
What is customer service in today’s realm? Business leaders believe that it has gone far beyond simply offering support to customers. It’s a philosophy that must be embraced by everyone in an organization – from top management to frontline employees.
1. “Customer service should not be a department. It should be the entire company.” – Tony Hsieh
2. “Customer service means making it easy and fast for your customers to get the help they need- when and how they need it.” – Steve Benson
3. “A lot of people have fancy things to say about customer service, but it’s just a day-in, day-out, ongoing, never-ending, persevering, compassionate kind of activity.” – Christopher McCormick
4. “In the world of Internet Customer Service, it’s important to remember your competitor is only one mouse click away.” – Doug Warner
5. “Customer service is the experience we deliver to our customer. It’s the promise we keep to the customer. It’s how we follow through for the customer. It’s how we make them feel when they do business with us.” – Shep Hyken
6. “Customer service is a voluntary act that demonstrates a genuine desire to satisfy, if not delight, a customer.” – Steve Curtin
7. “Being on par in terms of price and quality only gets you into the game. Service wins the game.” – Tony Alessandra
8. “If you’re not serving the customer, your job is to be serving someone who is.” – Jan Carlzon
9. “The best customer service is if the customer doesn't need to call you, doesn't need to talk to you. It just works.” – Jeff Bezos
Remembering Who the Customer Is
The customer is the core reason why any business exists. Without customers there is no profit - they are truly any company’s most valuable asserts. The following quotes are great reminders of how businesses should view their customers.
10. “It is not the employer who pays the wages. Employers only handle the money. It is the customer who pays the wages.” – Henry Ford
11. “There is only one boss: The Customer. And he can fire everybody in the company from the chairman on down, simply by spending his money somewhere else." – Sam Walton
12. “Customers are assets to be cared for and nurtured.” – Jeanne Bliss
13. “A customer is the most important visitor on our premises, he is not dependent on us. We are dependent on him. He is not an interruption in our work. He is the purpose of it. He is not an outsider in our business. He is part of it. We are not doing him a favor by serving him. He is doing us a favor by giving us an opportunity to do so.” – Mahatma Gandhi
14. “Every company’s greatest assets are its customers because without customers there is no company.” – Michael LeBoeuf
15. “Profit in business comes from repeat customers; customers that boast about your product and service, and that bring friends with them.” – W. Edwards Deming
Treating Customers Right
Satisfied and well-taken-care-of customers can the best brand ambassadors, while those neglected ones can easily damage a brand’s reputation and cause financial losses. The quotes listed below clearly demonstrate why it’s essential to care about customers and treat them right.
16. “Rule 1: The customer is always right. Rule 2: If the customer is ever wrong, re-read Rule 1.” – Stew Leonard
17. “Look after the customers and the business will take care of itself.” – Ray Kroc
18. “The customer tells us how to stay in business, best that we listen.” – Pamela Nelson
19. “Don’t try to tell the customer what he wants. If you want to be smart, be smart in the shower. Then get out, go to work, and serve the customer!” – Gene Buckley
20. “Your best customers leave quite an impression. Do the same and they won’t leave.” – SAP Ad
21. “Any customer that walks away, disrespected and defeated, represents tens of thousands of dollars out the door, in addition to the failure of a promise the brand made in the first place. You can’t see it but it’s happening, daily.” – Seth Godin
23. “If your customers are made to feel as if they are outsiders, they will eventually find a competitor who makes them feel better about doing business with them.” – Shep Hyken
24. “Customers are like teeth. If you don’t take care of them they go away one by one until there are none.” – Jerry Flanagan
25. “Customers don’t care how much you know unless they know how much you care.” – Damon Richards
26. “Treat the customer as if you are that customer.” – Gena Lorainne
27. “Courteous treatment will make a customer a walking advertisement.” – James Cash
28. “If you don’t care, your customer never will.” – Marlene Blaszczyk
29. “Treat your customers like they own you, because they do.” – Mark Cuban
30. “If you don't appreciate your customers, someone else will.” – Jason Langella
31. “Approach each customer with the idea of helping him or her to solve a problem or achieve a goal, not of selling a product or service.” – Brian Tracy
32. “If you are not taking care of your customer, your competitor will.” – Bob Hooey
33. “No amount of advertising can repair the damage done by failing to properly address a customer’s concern.” – Albert Schindler
34. “It takes months to find a customer and only seconds to lose one.” – Vince Lombardi
Delivering Excellent Customer Service
Outstanding customer service is more than just answering customers’ questions and solving their problems. As consumers have become more demanding than ever, they value brands that are able to provide a truly memorable service, and they are willing to share their positive experiences with others.
35. “Great customer service is a critical competitive advantage for a business.” – Steve Benson
36. “Good customer service begins at the top. If your senior people don’t get it, even the strongest links further down the line can become compromised.” – Richard Branson
37. “The longer you wait, the harder it is to produce outstanding customer service.” – William H. Davidow
39. “To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity.” – Don Alden Adams
40. “When you serve the customer better, they always return on your investment.” – Kara Parlin
41. “One customer well taken care of could be more valuable than $10,000 worth of advertising.” – Jim Rohn
42. “The goal as a company is to have customer service that is not just the best but legendary.” – Sam Walton
43. “Always keep in mind the old retail adage: Customers remember the service a lot longer than they remember the price.” – Lauren Freedman
44. “The key is when a customer walks away, thinking ‘Wow, I love doing business with them, and I want to tell others about the experience.” – Shep Hyken
Discover on your own
Knowledge is important, but only when put into the practice. Test everything in our academy right inside the LiveAgent.
Meeting Customer Needs and Exceeding Expectations
To provide excellent service, businesses need to know their customer expectations and preferences in and out. Knowing what resonates with customers allows not only meeting their needs but also exceeding expectations by going the extra mile.
46. “Get closer than ever to your customers. So close that you tell them what they need well before they realize it themselves.” – Steve Jobs
47. “The more you engage with customers the clearer things become and the easier it is to determine what you should be doing.” – John Russell
48. “Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong.” – Donald Porter
49. “The key is to set realistic expectations, and then not to just meet them, but to exceed them - preferably in unexpected and helpful ways.” – Richard Branson
50. “Know what your customers want most and what your company does best. Focus on where those two meet.” – Kevin Stirtz
51. “Going above and beyond involves making customers “feel special” and helping them out even when it may not make sense.“ – Neil Patel
52. “There are no traffic jams along the extra mile.” – Roger Staubach
Understanding the Importance of Customer Experience
Over the recent years customer experience has become a critical differentiating factor for brands across all industries – its importance should not be underestimated. Consistently creating great customer experiences fosters customer loyalty, improves retention and encourages positive referrals.
53. “The customer experience is the next competitive battleground.” – Jerry Gregoire
54. “We see our customers as invited guests to a party, and we are the hosts. It’s our job every day to make every important aspect of the customer experience a little bit better.” – Jeff Bezos
55. “You’ve got to start with the customer experience and work back toward the technology, not the other way around.” – Steve Jobs
56. “Customer experience isn’t an expense. Managing customer experience bolsters your brand.” – Stan Phelps
58. “Every contact we have with a customer influences whether or not they’ll come back. We have to be great every time or we’ll lose them.” – Kevin Stirtz
59. “People will forget what you said. They will forget what you did. But they will never forget how you made them feel.” – Maya Angelou
60. “The customer’s perception is your reality.” – Kate Zabriskie
Building a Customer Centric Culture
Adapting a customer centric approach and putting customers first – at the core of all business decisions and operations – helps to gain a solid advantage over competitors. What does being customer-centric means for businesses? Here is what industry experts have to say about customer centricity:
61. “In the age of the customer, executives don't decide how customer-centric their companies are - Customers do.” – Kate Leggett
62. “Any company that wants to put customers first….has to be willing to think long term.” – Jeff Bezos
64.“A customer-centric model is based not on expertise in the realm of product development, but rather on a deep understanding of what customers actually want, when and how they want it, and what they're willing to give you in exchange.” – Peter Fader
65. “Your website isn’t the center of your universe. Your Facebook page isn’t the center of your universe. Your mobile app isn’t the center of your universe. The customer is the center of your universe.” – Bruce Ernst
66. “If you work just for money, you’ll never make it, but if you love what you’re doing and you always put the customer first, success will be yours.” – Ray Kroc
67. “If you’re competitor-focused, you have to wait until there is a competitor doing something. Being customer-focused allows you to be more pioneering.” – Jeff Bezos
Acknowledging Customer Feedback
According to the experts, customer feedback and complaints should be embraced and viewed as a source of information providing helpful insights which businesses can use to learn where and how they can improve their offerings. Therefore, complaining customers are invaluable.
68. “Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning.” – Bill Gates
69. “Consumer feedback continues to be our MOST important business driver.” – Howard Shultz
70. “Customers often know more about your products than you do. Use them as a source of inspiration and ideas for product development.” – David J. Greer
71. “Statistics suggest that when customers complain, business owners and managers ought to get excited about it. The complaining customer represents a huge opportunity for more business.” – Zig Ziglar
72. “Don’t waste customers’ time asking them questions unless you are prepared to act on what they say.” – Bruce Temkin
73. “Ask your customers to be part of the solution, and don't view them as part of the problem.” – Alan Weiss
Engaging Employees to Provide Better Service
Great customer service starts with having happy employees on board. Highly engaged, motivated, empowered and well-taken-care-of agents are more likely to care about customers and deliver better customer service to them. The following quotes prove just that:
74. “The way your employees feel is the way your customers will feel. And if your employees don’t feel valued, neither will your customers.” – Sybil F. Stershic
75. “Take good care of your employees and they'll take good care of your customers, and the customers will come back." – J.W. Marriott
76. “Without great employees you can never have great customer service.” – Richard F. Gerson
77. “If we consistently exceed the expectations of employees, they will consistently exceed the expectations of our customers.” – Shep Hyken
78. “Whether you are big or small, you cannot give good customer service if your employees don’t feel good about coming to work.” – Martin Oliver
79. “Always treat your employees exactly as you want them to treat your best customers.” – Stephen R. Covey
80. “Customers will never love a company until the employees love it first.” – Simon Sinek
Catchy Customer Service Slogans and Taglines
When it comes to customer service, slogans and taglines are powerful marketing tools that can serve as memorable differentiators, help to create emotional connection with potential customers and motivate them to support a brand. Below is a list of some of the most famous and compelling customer service slogans, taglines, mottos and sayings that might be helpful to use in advertising campaigns to catch the interest of potential customers, or in customer service trainings to inspire support teams:
- Customer service is everyone’s job.
- Customer service is not a department, it’s an attitude.
- Customer service is the new marketing.
- Customer service pays off.
- Customer loyalty is priceless.
- Extraordinary service for extraordinary customers.
- Good customer service costs less than bad customer service.
- Good service is good business.
- He profits most who serves best.
- It’s all about customers.
- Make a customer, not a sale.
- Make the customer the hero of your story.
- Politeness goes far, yet costs nothing.
- Put customers first.
- Satisfied customers are our best ads.
- The customer is always right.
- The customer’s perception is our reality.
- Treating every client like family.